Saturday, October 14, 2006

Detroit Tigers World Series 2006

Tonight the Tigers finished off the Oakland Athletics with a game four win in Detroit. Very rarely do I post about sports (mostly because Detroit doesn't usually offer much to brag about... insert Lions joke here) but this cannot go without mention.

I have been going to Tigers games with my family since I was very young. I remember one game I talked my dad into going to was a doubleheader that had a rain delay. Our seats were under the overhang in along the left field line so we waited it out. That was a very full day of baseball. Another time while at Tiger Stadium with my high school church group some buddies of mine and I got Rickey Henderson (A's) to flip us off. Real mature on our part I know, but man we rode him until he finally turned around and gave us the bird. They pulled him the next inning. Growing up, we used to go to two or three games a summer. The Tigers are my link to so many wonderful childhood memories... and so many disappointing seasons. But hey, they have always been my team and I've stood by them.

All that to say that I am extremely excited about our trip to the World Series. A ninth inning walk off homer by Magglio Ordonez was the perfect way to clinch this series and send Detroit on to represent the American League. Baseball... there is something right in the world when the home team wins.

So as we have said in times of old, "Bless you boys... this is our year!"

1 comment:

teirney said...

I must admit that I am happy for you and your Tigers. It should've been the Twins, but since it wasn't...