Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How does your garden grow?


This is Amy . . .

First of all, you may have noticed that the frequency of posting has dramatically increased on the Fiedler blog page. Not sure if we'll be able to keep this up, but we have good intentions . . .

Any of you who have ever met my mother, Shirley, know that we are two peas in a pod. We look alike, talk alike, and sound alike - or so I'm told. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I realized that, like my mom, I had buried inside of me (no pun intended), an intense love for gardening.

Since moving to Oshkosh in February, I found myself with many of the necessary ingredients for creating and maintaining a successful garden - sunny backyard, more time, a garden friend (yes Andrea, that's you!), and an expert gardener (my mother) who lives 20 minutes away. And so, as the weather began to warm, my dream of having my own vegetable garden began to grow. With my garden journal in hand, some seed packets, and a skeptical husband (I tend to START things with great zeal . . .), I headed out into the Fiedler "back 40" to bust some sod for my little project.

I'm proud to report that nearly a month later, my 10'x10' vegetable garden is in and growing! (Thanks to Sophster and Jason for all their help!). Green beans, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, green peppers, eggplant, zucchini, butternut squash, acorn squash, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, radishes, and peas . . .all growing in the Fiedler backyard!

Anyway, like I said, Jason and I are determined to do a better job of keeping everyone updated on the goings on around here. For me, that will probably mean a garden update from time to time (bear with me). And please, feel free to stop by in August for some fresh produce! (Of course , we want all of you to feel free to stop by anytime - not just during our bountiful harvest.) :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the pictures! By the way, did you plan to match Sophi that day? ;)

amy fiedler said...

yup - that's how we roll! (okay, not really)